Saturday, January 31, 2009

Badminton on Fiji Time

I rushed out of the house to get to the badminton courts on time.

As usual, I was late in getting ready. All I need for badminton is a 2 litre water bottle, 2 shirts, a towel, a wrist band to keep the sweat off my palms and a change of socks in my bag. It's not a big job to collect all those things. It takes about 2 minutes to fill my bag with the neccessities. The problem is I'm always sitting in front of my computer before badminton and I lose track of time.

I rushed my preparations, forgetting to pack a towel in the process, and left home. I thought I was late but when I got there, there was just one guy who arrived before me. The rest of the group arrived about 20 mins later.

The official expression for this sort of tardiness is called arriving on "Fiji Time". In Fiji, it's an acceptable social norm to arrive 15 mins or half an hour late to an appointment. Luckily, there were some people playing Basketball so we watched them and it wasn't boring to have to wait. We have some members who are almost always late and we have some who are almost always on time. It doesn't matter though because we're here for fun and Fiji operates on Fiji Time.

I didn't do too well on the courts today. I always have trouble playing my shots after a long break from badminton. It's been 4 days and I consider that a LONG break. It was only towards the end of the 2 hour long session that I got my groove back.

I tried getting some photos of the session but all I got from my crappy but expensive point-n-shoot were some blurry shots. Below is a blurry shot of me lunging for a drop.

I promise I'll learn some photography skills before posting another photo. Probably need a DSLR camera to capture fast motion anyway.

Until next time, Zatlite.

1 comment: